What is 3D Secure?
Do you get a 3D authentication failure notice when you try to complete payments using VoguePay?
Do your customers complain of their inability to complete a transaction on your website because they got EC0031 displayed on their screen?
If you answer yes to any of the above, here is what you need to know
What is 3D secure?
3D Secure is a technical standard created to further secure card-holder, especially over online transactions.
The question of how to protect card owners comes to mind especially where debit cards can be used in the absence of the card-holder
A term often referred to as Card-holder Not Present (CNP)
3D Secure authentication was designed to protect a credit card against unauthorized use when shopping online
This authentication enables card owners to validate transactions they make over the internet by requesting for a One-Time-Password (OTP) which usually sent to the owner’s cell phone or email address.
This protects the cardholder from fraudulent use by unauthorised individuals.
How 3D Secure works?
3D Secure process is as follows:
- The cardholder enters their card information (16 digit card number, expiry date etc.) on Dual Global Mobile Checkout credit card input portal powered by VoguePay, FirstData, TransFirst, etc.
- The Credit Card Processing enabler contacts a directory server to see whether the card is enrolled in 3D Secure
- The directory server responds with a message indicating that the card is registered
- The Credit Card Processing enabler uses the message to redirect the cardholder to a “3D Secure” page served by the issuing bank
- The cardholder authenticates themselves to the issuing bank on the 3D Secure page by entering a OTP (One Time Pin) or known password etc.
- The result of this authentication is returned to Credit Card Processing enabler
- Credit Card Processing enabler submits the card information and the 3D Secure authentication result to our acquiring bank
- Our acquiring bank authorizes the transaction (by communicating with the credit card network and issuing bank)
- The response (success or failure) is passed back up the chain to the cardholder.
How to Activate 3D Secure?
3D Secure stands for 3 Domain Server, hence there are 3 parties involved in the 3D Secure process:
- The company the purchase is being made from.
- The Acquiring Bank (the bank of the company)
- VISA and MasterCard (the card issuers themselves)
To protect card owners, all transactions on Dual Global Mobile Credit Card Processing enablers require (VoguePay, FirstData, TransFirst, etc.) 3D secure cards. Kindly contact your card issuer or the bank to enable 3D secure on your cards
Advantages of 3D Secure
- Protects cardholder against unauthorised use.
- An added layer of fraud protection.
- Increase customer confidence when shopping online.
- Shift fraud liability from your business with chargeback protection on qualifying transactions.